Sunday, January 9, 2011

The first step....

Well, I did it! I am now counting down the days until I begin the next chapter in my life...becoming a flight attendant (FA) for a major airline. 


On Monday, I turned in my notice at Sam's. It was harder than I expected, but I managed to get through it without totally breaking down. I did shed a few tears, though, and David was really great! Deciding to leave Sam's was a hard decision, but I feel like it is the right thing for me at this point in my life. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time there and will miss my friends and co-workers.

Training is scheduled to start on January 25th, so I am in the process of "early packing." For me, that means getting whatever shopping I need to do out of the way and making preparations to be away from home during my three weeks of training. If I understood correctly, we will be off on Sundays, so maybe I can come home and sleep in my own bed on Saturday nights...and maybe spend some time with my cat, Max, who will miss me.

We should find out our base assignments the first week of training, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get DFW.  This is one time where being old is a good thing because seniority is everything in the airline industry.  There is an excellent chance that I will be one of, if not THE oldest person in my class, so if there are any spots available at DFW, then I may be able to get one.  For those of you who are kind enough to read and/or subscribe to my blog....please keep your fingers crossed and remember me in your prayers!!

I will try and update this as much as possible as I go through training.  There are one or two of you who want to know "all of the details," so I will do my best to accommodate you.  There is lots to learn, and I will have to spend a great deal of my "spare time" outside of class studying, and making sure that I get as much rest as possible.  Many people are under the misconception that a FA's main function is to serve drinks and snacks in-flight.  Actually, the primary function of a FA is the "safety and security of the passengers (PAX) aboard the aircraft."  For this reason, we have to learn things like the use of all emergency equipment aboard the airplane, evacuation commands, and first aid.  So...during training, there will be no partying for this girl...I'll save that for after graduation!

That's all for now.  It seems like two weeks is a long time, but I know that the time will pass quickly. Making a major life change is always a bit scary, but it is also exciting. There is no doubt in my mind that I am on the right path, and I am looking forward to embarking on this "Airline Adventure!"

No comments:

Post a Comment